Drinking enough water is one of the most under rated things you can do to improve your health. A solution so simple it can seem too good to be true! We know through our encounters helping many people at the Vibrant Life Centre that most humans do not drink enough pure clean water for optimal health and body function.
How can we spot when our bodies are calling out for more water? The best way to consume water is consistently in small amounts throughout the day. Don’t wait for the feeling of thirst before you reach for water – if you do you are already becoming dehydrated. Also many people either confuse thirst for hunger and if you have been under-hydrated for a long time your body may have just stopped telling you that you are thirsty.
Here are 6 signs other than thirst that you could be dehydrated and need to drink more
1. The colour of your urine should be pale yellow. Any darker than that and you need to drink more. You will notice that your urine will be darker first thing in the morning as you may not have had a drink through the night. Drink water first thing and notice the colour of your urine throughout the rest of the day
2. Headaches are not normal! We help many people with headaches with adjustments and massage. If your headaches are persistent you could think about drinking more water. If a headache comes on, drink a couple of glasses of water and rest before reaching for the pills.
3. Muscle and joint pain and muscle cramps are common in people who do not drink enough water. To compliment your adjustments and massage you should increase your water intake. You will respond better to our care and need fewer appointments if you are sufficiently hydrated.
4. Low concentration and low mood can be a result of dehydration. If you need a pick me up in the middle of the afternoon, try drinking a large glass of water before reaching for the coffee or tea.
5. Slow digestion aka constipation can be a result of dehydration in some people. There may of course be other factors involved, however maintaining good hydration is essential for normal digestion and passage through the colon. If you struggle with sluggish digestion make sure you are eating plenty of water rich foods and drinking plenty throughout the day.
6. Having dry skin, dry eyes or a dry mouth could be due to not taking in enough water. All of our body tissues need water and electrolytes to function normally. If you suffer with any of these reach for the water consistently every day to watch for improvements in how you feel.
Signs of severe dehydration (which are important to look out for particularly in this current hot weather) can include dizziness, sunken eyes, confusion and even losing consciousness.
You can check our blog on electrolytes to read how to rehydrate effectively.